<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Birthday today 

Never to late to send presents!

But it is not a big one like an "0" or a "5".

Just a kind of pedestrian "79".

But there is nothing everyday about that.

When I was younger, my cohort had a life expectancy of 73.

So I have beaten the odds, whatever they may be.

I have to report that none of the dire expectations that I had about old age have come true.

I am sentient. I am stable on my feet. I have a pretty good memory except for what you said five minutes ago. Wait a few more and I will remember that too.

I am in pretty good shape although it was a bit easier to decide to blow off the gym this week for a variety of reasons that would have not withstood scrutiny a while ago.

I promise to go back there Monday. I do.

There are no special plans that I know of. I asked specifically for a low profile day. Cake of course. Chocolate with vanilla icing.

I can still remember that was the routine when I was a kid.

For some reason the most vivid memory of a birthday is sitting at the head of the table in our first house with me in it and blowing out the candles. I can remember how the candles smelled, the icing tasted and for some reason I see it from another vantage point than my own.

I know it is not in the home movies I saw the other night. I do not think there is trauma involved.

Although it could be that it is 1945 and my Dad is not home from the Navy yet. Hard times.

All in all I have had a pretty good life. I have packed a lot of stuff in. So far.

I have not retired to the rocker yet. That used to be the fate of most guys in "the old days".

No one here will let me and we do not have one of those anyway.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?