Saturday, April 02, 2011
GOING THERE
I have avoided looking at 2012 and the re-election of Barack Obama because I will get so caught up in it that the less time I am obsessed the better.
Nevertheless, since Steve Benen goes there so well, so will I. Just for a peak.
Looking at the Landscape With a Demographic Lens
I don't want to lean on this too much but the changes that are going on around me are dramatic.
I can see them!
I can read about them.
If I were a member of the GOP, I would be thinking long and hard about that party's present direction and if I want to go with that flow or not. Already, some are looking and acting. Scott Brown in MA comes to mind. Others? Even some of the old guys. Lugar.
Some of the freshmen? Probably not. Many got swept in with the bagger tide and will get swept out again.
I remember the first time that I heard the word "demographic". It was all the rage in the 70s and then became a staple in every market research project anyone, anywhere took into account.
This was the beginning of niche marketing. It was the realization that one commercial would not hit everyone nor should it.
I was in the MR business for awhile and we were quite interested in getting the right consumers to talk to.
After awhile, I got tired of it.