<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

IN LAW WE TRUST

I have been trying to drag my ass to our will and trust lawyer ever since we got married.

It is a change of status for the good and might impact the documents that we have had in place for ten or more years.

I don't like to go because it will always cost me money.

We had a rapport with the paralegal over the years and we could just sort of call her and see if there was a change of law or whatever that needed inclusion.

She left the firm though.

Now it is back to the boss.

Which is actually not bad. She is affable and very competent and we are happy to have her on board.

I guess it is just that I don't much like spending a lot of time and money on something I won't be around to benefit from.

Yeh. I know. Peace of mind. OK.

We took Booker along to make it more fun. And it was. He is a good guy to ride with and to share around in a lawyer's office. I'm not kidding. You would be amazed where you can take dogs if you ask. Or just do it.

I am glad that we went. The husband thing does make some difference to the wills and such. It is just a retyping job with some word changes.

We also had included a clause for Franklin's care in case of our death before his. He beat us to it so we are taking that out of this version.

Booker belongs to the rescue people if something happens to us. Technically. I hope to outlive him but if I do not and there is no care for him in the family, then he goes back to Airedale Camp.

We don't plan on that happening but it is what they wanted and that is what will happen.

So now there is another version to be typed and we will have to go and sign the papers and all.

It is not done until it is done.

We also went to review our living will which will be beneficial to me directly if it is needed.

As it turns out, there is no change for these docs.

There is one thing that will come out of this though. I will use this opportunity to put together a "disaster package" that will have each of our living wills and the marriage certificate in case we have to go submit ourselves to the medical system. There is sometimes a lot of hassle for gay folks. Less so now. Still.

And listen. You should do this too. Anyone should have this ready.

For example, if you do not want to be resuscitated you better have it in writing and get that writing to the meds.

Incidentally, if you call 911 you are saying that you have abandoned that particular item. They will resuscitate and it will be all hell to get them to pull the plug after that.

Something to remember.

If I drop and I am not breathing don't call 911. Just let me be.

I mean it. Seriously.

No brain damage from lack or oxygen for me, thanks.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?