<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Weekend 

So it is a busy weekend.

Not because it is a holiday but because we had a condo board meeting and there is other stuff as well.

I am sorry but I am one of the people who has no investment in MLK. Great guy, hero to many, but not on my radar.

I suppose that is racist or thought to be for some. But then that is the whole thing around MLK. There is no ignoring him. Or no being detached.

Well, I am.

Now is the time for me to say that I am not a racist.

Or that some of my best friends are black.

Or some such thing.

But it would be a lie.

In my time and place there has been no connection other than professional.

To say that race makes no difference to me is, in itself racist. I think.

I have gone far enough here.

From an early age I went with my Dad to the black community, such as it was, in my little rural town.

Then there was Mr. Morgan who drove a woody station wagon and ran the whole servant thing at the local ritzy hotel.

No one in my house ever used the n word. Ever.

But this was rural Pennsylvania. Appalachia. Without the hotel we would all have been white trash hillbillies but we didn't use those words either.

When I went to college the only brown skins were Indians. A little hard to take because of the culture but still OK.

So I am tone deaf.

That said, I live in Palm Springs California which is carefully curated to be lily white. I didn't do it but someone did and does.

There are no blacks in our condo complex either.

I don't know why I am going on about it.

I grew up and live in a racist society and I am not proud of it but that is how I have turned out.

Here, in California, the emphasis is on Mexican culture and that separation. White people keep thing pretty well controlled.

That will do for now.

I have no more to say on it.

I am not capable of a decent discussion of the issues or the scene.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?