<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Gladiators 

For those of us who have sat on the bench all our lives, this stuff is just a complete mystery.

Aaron Hernandez conviction: Gambling on risky players is an NFL reality

Football has always seemed brutal to me. Even when I tried to play touch as a kid. The hard tag. The grapple. The sudden fights that would flare up with kids who had a "hot temper".

Just a game? Not for these kids.

We did not have football at the tiny school I went to. MIT did not have football. I had one son who went out for it and got a shoulder injury. Maybe that was in the little league or whatever it was. I was happy it cut his career short.

I could never watch a game. But I have trouble with all the television sports. It is not in my nature to care about this activity.

I ran, I swam some, I have gone to the gym forever. But competitive sports filled me with performance anxiety. When I was a kid, gym class was a horror.

So I am not a player.

I have missed out on watching this crazy ass macho behavior up close.

So I suppose, as a bona fide sissy, I do not get to comment on something like this. But fuck that. This is just the point.

I realize that hundreds of jocks have had small and large careers without having this violent streak. OK. Gentlemen.

But it is really scary to me when grown men who are not jocks gather round and cheer on the gladiators as though they are in the pit themselves. It is just bad. Ugly.

Everyone who cheered for this guy is part of the guilt. Sorry. I cannot see it any other way.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?