<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Forty 

It is our fortieth "meeting anniversary".

We met on or about April 1st, 1975.

I had placed a personal ad in one of the alternative newspapers in Boston.

There were some responses but nothing that turned out to be very interesting.

Then, sort of late in the game, came a note, then a call and then a meet up.

I met John in the great City Hall Plaza in Boston. He worked there. We were to connect at the T station on the upper end but I could see him coming across the vast expanse of brick that marks that "hallowed" place.

By the time he got to me, I was kind of speechless but we went upstairs at a bar that was right there, Peter's Plum, and had a drink.

Before we had finished, I asked him to come back to my apartment which was several blocks away. To talk.

That is how things were done in those days.

So, we went.

I was anxious to get there so we walked through the back basement door which was the first entrance we got to. The closest to the elevators.

He has never forgotten that.

Me either.

Nor what happened when we got to my studio apartment. But I will draw the blinds here and let you know that our first times together were quite special.

We dated. I tried to get away from his clutches. I wasn't ready for a "relationship" but I think that I also let him catch me.

It wasn't too long after that he was the only one for me and has been ever since.

Not that we didn't try some others here and there. But not seriously.

I hardly expected such a thing to happen. The stuff of fairy tales, the prince arriving out of nowhere with a glass slipper or something like that.

We had our hard times. We had to move through a lot early on but somehow it was never difficult. The teamwork started early.

I am so grateful for my life with John. We never set out for longevity. But here it is. A life second to none.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?