<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Again and again 

If you read this blog then you probably have had a larger than normal dose of gay marriage news.

Well, too bad. That is the news that most interests me right now. Not just because I am gay and married to another gay man, good old Prop. 8.

Thanks California!

It is because it is one of the signal issues of our time. Prying human rights out of the biased and pathological clutches of the established religions.

It hasn't always been this way.

I grew up as a Methodist, a loose amalgam of social gospel that fit almost any congregation. Depended on the preacher. And, of course, the congregation.

I stayed with it for a long time because I played organ and the only place you could do that was in a church. Or a bar.

The Hammond Organ which I learned as a kid is/was a regular bar fixture. There is one in Palm Springs. I have played it.

But I digress.

What brings me to this subject again is this:

It’s Not Gay Marriage vs. the Church Anymore

Change is coming, has come. Of course will come. And as "they told us" being out and proud about all of it makes the bigots and jesusnuts so crazy they can't provide a cogent argument why we should not marry or have equal rights or anything else.

And this blazes the trail for a deeper fuller understanding of human rights in general. Rather than resent us, the NAACP and all those people who want the stage to themselves ought to thank us.

Well, often, gay rights collides directly with the ingrained homophobia of even the most liberal black people. Sorry. True. And sorry not to say it but sorry it is still like that. Wake up you.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?