<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Round numbers 

Today is my birthday.

Ever year for 78 years. January 28th.

I am not quite sure how I got here. It wasn't what I intended.

For a long time I had no intentions.

Kids do not.

Then, I did have fantasies about being a wise old man, maybe 100.

But I met a lot of people that had this type of goal and they led very careful lives.

I am not the one to do that. Some phases of my life have been very uncareful.

Partly because for a long while I was protected with a mantle of denial and disbelief.

Never mind the details, but most young people, and I have met a few of those, do not dwell on the length or even the quality of life as an elder. The smart ones just live their lives to the fullest. The facts are that this wisdom recognizes the imminence of death at almost any point of time. Death is not just for the old.

That is it with the talk about life and death.

I have had a very good year. My health is very good. When it was not it has been fixed. Mostly medical science. Or giving something up. Or starting things up.

Mostly, I try to hang out with as many young people as I can. There are a lot of them. Some treat me as an elder and that is nice but I refuse any pedestals.

And so on. Ruminate.

Right now I am thinking about my cake which is the other half of the cake we had at John's birthday. An ice cream cake.

And there is a very tall thick package at the dining room table all festively wrapped. Not allowed to touch that.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?