<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Staying here 

Where I live, this is a very big deal.

Obama Said to Plan Moves to Shield 5 Million Immigrants

It is something they are thinking about. But I can't help believing that it is a trial balloon. The NYT is practically a house organ of this administration. Is that with a capital? Administration. It ought to be.

I have no way of knowing who is legal and who is not around here. Which is fine with me. The border is porous as it ought to be. Like with Canada.

Although there will be a quick rejoinder to that one. Some believe that Canadians are like us and Mexicans are not.

I do not share that belief. Anymore than I make a distinction between French Canadians and the other kind. Anglo.

Of course there is a lot to do with vote counting here. But it is always about vote counting so why not.

I do know that families are split by the border. Not good.

One of the times I am most aware of the border is when I do interviews for MIT. Kids from Mexico are treated just the same way in our work but they are not the same. They fall under "international" which could be good for them in terms of quotas. Which no one admits to.

A lot of kids live on the other side of the border and come to school on this side. It is allowed. And not just in private school. Where there is a will there will be a way.

I knew nothing about any of this before I moved out here. It was an awakening.

I did not know that some so called white Americans are hostile to Mexican people. It is the same as blacks. They are called ugly names and thought to be dirty and prone to large families and other sins which when you think of it is a lot of uninformed hooey.

Of course, as a bleeding heart liberal I am probably supporting bad elements and betraying my roots.

Which happen to be German through and through. And hillbilly. As well as cunnerman. Don't ask about that last one. It is considered to be a euphemism for poor whites in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. It is based on the long ago family name of "Counterman" who were thought to be, well, you know, cunnermen. When I was a kid that was the local "nigger". Too bad for the cunnermen that had no blacks to pick on. And only one jewish family. I won't get into what they called that kid in school.

We all grow up with it. Sick prejudice based on race, ethnicity, income, and, in my instance, sexual orientation.

It is not hard to identify with a greaser when I am thought of as a fairy, a queer, a homo or a cocksucker. And by some members of my own family! Arthur R., where are you now? I still remember your nasty mouth.

It is all the same thing. The haters are always the same. And they are boring as hell too.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?