<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Newsworthy 

When I was a kid, my Dad managed a small grocery store in Canadensis, PA.

We lived not too far away.

This is the area that the fugitive sniper Eric Frein is now using as his hiding place.

And he is still hiding successfully.

Nine Days In, No Contact With Trooper Killer

A lot of this area is still basically wilderness. I was not a woodsman or a hunter but my Dad was and he roamed all over the area for his whole life and knew the ins and outs of hunting and being in the wild.

It is a little deceptive to realize this is also a resort community with thousands of summer travelers. But, like a lot of places, the tourists only go into small areas. A lot more space is devoted to deep dark woods.

If you wanted to get lost you could find some good hiding places within a short walk of my family's home. We played all the variations of good/bad guys, built forts, and basically dodged parents in these woods. Once we were in there no one would find us.

For us, getting in and getting out was second nature. It was a learned skill set from the first times that we were allowed to run with other kids. Passed on from one gang to another.

My memory of the area is so vivid that I believe I could still navigate it and be hidden for quite a long time. Food, water and shelter would be a problem. But survivalists don't have this concern as much. Sooner or later they are going to have to give in but that would be a lot later than anyone may think.

Other male cousins (girls never went into the woods) who hunted had far more experience with this. Favorite trees to sit in to await game were kept as deep dark secrets.

At some point my interest in all of this, being nil, led to a life apart. Books and other ways to wile away my time.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?