<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 25, 2014

Keynes wins again 

I am proud of my adopted State. In a lot of ways it is similar to my Massachusetts where I lived for so many years. 32.

It is left leaning and, what is more, it works.

There are a lot of jokes about us being where the "fruits and nuts" come from. Well, to some extent. But it is a wonderful kind of nuttiness that makes us take risks and see the world as a place you can arrange for better living for everyone.

I will leave the "fruits" part for another time.

Paul Krugman writes about this today.

Left Coast Rising

The point is that our policies of raising taxes to even out the economy have largely worked. There is more employment, there are expanded social services and, what is more, there is a budget surplus.

Good news for the lefties, bad for the sour grapes, me first right wing who still say it is all a give-away. Wait. Is that one of the conservatives I see there scooping up his benefits of living here?

I live in the middle of the angry right belt. Riverside County and Palm Springs are the home of the old and mean. Less and less so, gratefully. They are thawing out. They have learned that when the tide rises so do all the boats. And, in the end, they are all reaping the benefits of a strong retirement income. At least part from a (gasp) government program, Social Security. The irony.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?