<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 27, 2011

EXHAUSTED

I have done christmas cards for well over our 35 years together. Well, maybe 30 years. I don't think we sent cards for a few years into our "relationship".

I am pretty sure I did them when I was married before.

Despite the fact that the people we send cards to, most of them, are basically out of touch and do not even phone or email us, we keep on exchanging the cards as though we were bosom friends. Maybe once, not now.

People we met on vacations, a few people from Boston. Some from business relationships. All just barely a memory. Except at these holidays.

Then there is the question of the people we do exchange email and phone calls with most of the time. People that we actually see regularly. If they are out of town, they get a card too and they probably send one to us. Why send cards?

We do not send cards locally except with a few exceptions. There were to be no exceptions to the no home town card rule. But somehow there are always a few on the list. They are not all John's either. Some are mine.

So addressing and signing cards is not as big a chore as it used to be. Over time, the card list has become smaller. We have weeded out the non-responders. We send, you send. If you do not, then off the list the second year. We used to send maybe 150 cards. Now more like 40.

I have always done the cards on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Today was the big day. And now comes, the enthusiasm gap. I got half way through today and just lost my energy for it. My writing even got erratic. I messed up three or four envelopes. My mind wandered to what I wish I was doing other than the cards.

I bitched to John and said that this year was "it". "No more". I don't think I even had to sob and hit the table in desperation.

The perfect husband.

He said he would take over and even finish the twenty or so I had left. I did do about half.

So, if you get a sloppy, sort of half assed looking card you are in the first half. Sorry. I know John will do a good job on the second half. I think I got up to the "G's". A to G. I am aghast that I could be so careless. If you want, you can take us off your list. Go right ahead. Then we will be down to 30-35 or something.

But it won't affect me. I am not doing it anymore.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?