<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 07, 2011

I BLAME THE DEAD MAN

A lot of drama next door.

The neighbor died on Tuesday and the daughter was here in a flash. The young man who had been the neighbor's companion was told he would have to leave because they were selling immediately. Bang.

There was a discussion, we hear, of who owned what. He gets nothing. But they did ask him to take the dog and the cat. Which he is rightly ambivalent about but he doesn't want to abandon them. They are still confused about where the boss is. The dog brings flip flops to the tv chair every morning.

So he will take the animals because he would feel too bad not too.

He has found a place and was to move there yesterday but needed more time. They didn't agree but he just stayed over anyway.

There is a buyer coming to view the property today. They do not care if they make money on it or not. It won't be much. There is a mortgage.

It is very hard for the younger man. No resources, no furniture. Of course that was part of the situation when he took the "job" as live in companion. But still.

It is the same story that is told often enough. An oldster dies, the family moves in and anyone caught in the stampede gets trampled if they get in the way.

Something else to plan for in our case. I don't think that would happen with us. I don't think either of us would have a "companion" but if I/we did, we'd sure as shit provide for him and not assume that the family or anyone else would.

There lies the problem.

The avenging, acting out family is a cliché. Certainly one should make preparations for the probability of this happening.

I blame the dead man.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?