Wednesday, December 01, 2010
SEVEN YEARS
The blog is seven years old this week.
That is longer than I have done a lot of things in my life.
I changed jobs and companies every five years, first out of necessity and then as a matter of principle. Each move was to a smaller company until there was just me.
I would have crazes of hobbies that would last for awhile and then, having reached a certain level of competence, I would drop it and move on to another.
The blog hasn't worked that way. I have not gotten bored, which, finally, was the reason to change companies (also more money) and not stay with any hobbies.
I look back and feel pretty good about the result. By that, I mean that I feel good about the process of doing it.
The blog posts are all in the archives. I suppose it would be interesting to go back and read to see what happened and what I was saying about my life at a particular time. But I have never done that. Not once except, perhaps, to find out to check a date. But hardly that.
I am not much interested in dates. Or the past.
Or the future for that matter. Really.
I am very interested in today.
This is similar to my experience with taping meetings in my work with training groups. I could never go back and look at them. Same with my running journals. I scrupulously recorded the weather conditions, the length and route of my run and the results in time and so on. I never looked at it and I had a whole steno pad or two of data.
I have no idea who reads the blog any more. I think, at the beginning, a lot of friends and family read it.
I put it on my email for people to link up. I would mention it.
Now, I get comments from a few people I know and, occasionally, a complete stranger. I know that some of the stuff shows up on Google. Esoteric. Nice.
But fundamentally, I am writing it for myself. It is a journal. I tell people I do not journal but here it is. A white lie.
I don't promote the blog anymore. It just is.
I suppose this all sounds weird but then there is a lot of me that fits that category so why not the blog and my blogging.
Sometimes I think about quitting but I never do. I have followed some blogs where the guys just stopped one day. Sometimes with a curt explanation or nothing at all.
I promise a long goodbye if I drop this. Unless I drop it involuntarily. I am of a certain age where you never know what might happen.
Then my family can keep the archives and not read them. That would not make them weird. I wouldn't either.
"Oh! That's the blog he wrote". Click.
As it should be.