<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 28, 2010

POLAR BEAR CLUB

As it got colder this week, I retreated from my daily pool routine of three laps, ten minutes of sun (front), another lap in the pool, ten minutes sun (back) and then a last lap before I go home.

I felt the sun when I walked out to see how it was but I wasn't convinced enough to put on my bathing suit and go try it out.

Today, I said "the hell with it" and went.

The reason for this is that it was fucking cold in Long Beach. A record last night of 38F for the day.

I wore shorts. I walked on the beach. I got my feet wet. I went to dinner and we sat on the patio and it rained on us a little.

I got through it all.

So today, I went to the pool. It was windy and the air temp was 67. But the pool water was 82. I jumped in and it was warm!

And I got out and, while there was a chill in the wind, it was fine in the sun. That is what makes the difference. There is no moisture in the air and, if I am in the sun, I am baking. UV. Ultra violet heat.

And in the middle of my routine, an older woman came (with a bathing cap) and dove into the pool and did about the same.

So I am OK with the winter swimming.

Hardened.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?