<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 31, 2010

SPOOKS

The last time we had a trick or treater at the house was about 1994 when our neighborhood in Boston organized the night so that people wishing little visitors would put a lit pumpkin outside.

After that, no more. The following year we were out of town and so on.

When we lived in the apartment for the year between houses we had no one.

Then in Palm Springs, at the house, no one at all. Partly because there were no kids right in the neighborhood and also because we lived on a private lane between two streets. Dark and creepy.

When we moved here, we didn't know. There are kids. Not many.

So I bought candy.

Today I asked the neighbor if there were kids who came to the door. He said no.

I could have asked someone before I bought the candy.

I will take it to a meeting.

Or maybe one kid will come. There is still time.

Zits

When I was a kid I lived in the country. There were houses around, a little village in the middle of nowhere. We would go around the same route year after year. Limited to what was there.

We knew who got it and had real candy and who didn't who had home made donuts instead. Or fucking apples. Mrs. Price made donuts and had candy. We made her place the last stop. Also cider. The whole megillah.

When I had little kids, I liked Halloween best. We lived in a town and so there were lots of places to go. Sooner or later the kids wanted to go out with their friends. No Dads. And that was it.

After I moved to Boston, Halloween took on a different kind of life. It is the gay new year so there were lots of parties and partying. The same is true out here. Adults have a lot more fun than the kids.

Booker and I passed a Haunted House and Candy Carnival in the City Pavilion. For little kids.

Nice to see them from afar. We didn't get too close. Booker is a bit spooked, gentle spooked, by little kids. They can pet him and all. But not for long. Then he is away.

I thought costumes and masks were a bit more of a challenge than we were up to.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?