Saturday, October 16, 2010
SHOWING INITIATIVE
I am about to vote.
I waited until I had digested the referendum items.
It took awhile.
I know that a lot of people who read this don't live in California but I do.
The referendum business is the hardest to digest for a transplant like me.
Totally alien.
Some items are placed by the State, others by petition.
They have to pass muster with the Attorney General or someone to get on the ballot. Secretary of State? They have to be "legal". Constitutional.
But, in a way, this year, we are going to vote on something that no one would have predicted.
The legalization of marijuana.
See? It is an alien process.
Here are the initiatives and how I am going to vote for them.
Actually, they are called "Propositions".
I don't quite understand the numbering. I think that they fill in the available numbers from lapsed initiatives. Those that pass are forever, for example, Proposition 8.
As you can see below this post, they take on a life of their own.
In general, I vote NO on all propositions. I do not like the process and very often it is a means for some special interests to slip one over on the public. But there are exceptions. And I will make some this election.
So here we go.
Proposition 19 legalizes Marijuana--YES. We already know that the Feds will fight this and continue to treat the dread weed as an illegal substance, but there is a bit of the rebel in this State and I expect this might pass.
I, for one, will be voting yes on this Proposition. I believe that the drug is no more dangerous than alcohol and that regulated it will be a far more "reasonable" issue. It will become a matter of tax evasion rather than a criminal act.
I personally am out of the marijuana business. I would not use it. But I think that others should have the freedom to. And, I do not consider it a gateway drug.
Proposition 20 extends redistricting plan of Prop 11.--YES. I like the prop we passed before and believe it should be extended.
Proposition 21 creates a vehicle surcharge to fund parks--NO. This adds 18.00 to the cost of owning a vehicle which isn't a lot but this is a great example of the rampant special funding gadgets slipped in as initiatives. It is complicated. It is in perpetuity even though the problem of parks is not. No and don't keep putting these junk props on the ballot.
Proposition 22 prohibits State from "raiding" certain funds--NO. Another gadget. Short term "solution" to a short term problem. Times are tough so times are tough. Restrain yourselves from "simple" actions that you will regret.
Proposition 23 suspends Air Pollution controls--NO HELL NO. This is one they hope to slip in. They are the petroleum industry. Every cycle there is one of these. Either the power or insurance or petroleum interests.
Proposition 24 repeals recent legislation that allows business to lower tax liability--NO for now. This is part of a deal they passed to get the Republicans to approve the budget. It was arm twisting in extremis. Now they want to take it back. It was ugly but legal. I might vote YES in the actual voting but I don't think so. I don't like undoing legislation. Especially budgetary. Why have a legislature? Vote the bastards out but don't Monday morning quarterback.
Proposition 25 allows the legislature Majority to pass the budget with a majority--Yes. My dear gods YES, YES, YES. They need 2/3 now and that leads to the abomination we have as a budget review. It kills this State every year.
Proposition 26 puts State fees to two thirds vote--NO. Christalmighty NO NO NO NO. This is just the issue we are undoing in Prop 25. See? How ungainly this all is?
Proposition 27 undoes redistricting provisions voted in previous election and extended in this one with Prop 20.--No. Enough already. We decided this once and it was a good decision.
So that is it.
I will let you know about the candidates when I vote but you already know that I am a straight party line man so, why bother now?
Labels: election