<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 16, 2010

CANDIDATES

I said that I voted party line but there are a number of non-partisan positions so let's go down the line. Here is who I am voting for and why.

Governor: Jerry Brown. Committed, experienced, long open public life of major accomplishments. Scandal free. Integrity. Democrat. And not Meg Whitman.

Lieutenant Governor: Gavin Newsome. Mayor of San Francisco, willing to take political risks and stay with the cause, guts. Determination. Leader in gay marriage activity. Democrat.

Senator: Barbara Boxer. Hey. Barbara Boxer. Period. I would vote for her for almost any office. Her opponent? Carly Fiorina. A proven record of incompetence and self indulgence at HP. They fired her. We will not hire her.

United States Representative: Steve Pougnet. Palm Springs Mayor. Gay Has a husband. Two kids. A good guy. Looking to beat Mary Bono Mack who doesn't even live here anymore as she married a Rep from FL. They are DC establishment. She is a sorry spectacle even though she does keep her eye on the constituency as far as gay and aged issues are concerned. She voted against the AFA and all the rest of Obama's legislation. She is a party hack.

State Treasurer: Bill Lockyer. Incumbent. A good guy. Democrat. Has a lot of years in elective office.

Secretary of State: Debra Bowen. Incumbent. Does a good job. Keep her. Democrat.

Controller: John Chang. Incumbent. Good job. Keep him. He stood up to Arnold, toe to toe and into court on withholding pay for employees of the State. Chang won. Democrat. Keep him.

Incidentally, I would be the first one to dump one of the Demos if they fucked up.

Attorney General: Kamala Harris. DA of San Francisco. Good record. Democrat. Would be replacing Jerry Brown. Democrat.

Insurance Commissioner: Dave Jones. Democrat. Strictly party line vote. I only know what he says in his statements. This is a very tough job. We have not had good Commissioners over time. Good luck Dave.

District Member State Board of Equalization (CA Income Tax): Mary Christian Heising. Democrat. A sinecure. I don't really care. There isn't a lot that they do. Run the operation.

State Representative: V. Manuel Perez. Incumbent. Democrats finally took this seat for the first time with Perez. Last time. He has done well. Latino. Great. Democrat. Better. The Repubs put up a Latino too. Trendy. Handwriting on the wall. All these straight white folks will soon be underrepped.

Judges: We get to vote NO on all judges. A good thing. No NO's for me.

State Superintendent of Schools: Larry Aceves. A retired School Super. Is a fresh voice. The other guy is a teacher. Boring summary. This is non-partisan.

Local School Board: I am voting for two incumbents and one new guy. We vote for three. The one incumbent is an ex-police right winger. Out.

County Auditor; Ivan Chand. The other guy hardly tried on the campaign. No web site. Non partisan.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?