<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 15, 2010

OUT OF TOUCH

Tomorrow, I will be going for my annual trip to Shelter Island, San Diego at the Bay Club and Marina for three nights.

Alone.

No computers or other connections. Well, I will have my cell phone.

And three or four books.

The purpose is to see some salt water, be cool all day, watch some seals and pelicans, sit in front of the boat ramp across from my motel and watch the slow action, walk in the mornings the length of the island, do no cooking or other household stuff, get some meditation time in and, well, have a vacation.

I have been doing this so long that I know pretty much where everything is and how to get along.

The only doubt is whether I will get a room on the bay side looking at the Navy base and city across the way or on the marina side watching the hundreds of boats moored there.

Shelter Island is a yachting center and so the walks along it are punctuated by sights and sounds of boating. Sail shops, boatyards, gear emporiums. And lots of sailing type people walking around. There are a line of hotels but they are rather invisible.

It is heavenly. And quite the opposite environment of my desert life.

I will not be roughing it as you can see if you went to the Bay Club link. But it is not too plush either. Medium quality.

I will get to drive the Volvo up Highway 74, the fast serpentine up to Idyllwild then over through the Anza Boriega Desert and down to Temecula where I will grab onto the 15 and ride it down to my destination. The first highway driving for me and car since we have owned it. We need to get some high speed driving in to clean out the windpipe.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?