<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

DEPARTMENT OF I TOLD YOU SO

Digital Devices Deprive Brain of Needed Downtime

Duh!

But it is hard to convince people that this is so.

You only have to look at the benefits of meditation. Even a little. The results of down time, contemplation, letting go, idling, are well known.

Of course all my data is personal. When I am heavily into the blog, doing financial work, answering email, watching movies and the like, I begin to feel "behind". As though I am losing something.

I start to make mistakes.

If there is too much of it, my sleep gets disrupted.

And I don't even text or try to keep up with the Jones's on Facebook. I definitely do not Twitter.

I don't wear an iPod and I don't run the radio all day. We tried this when we moved in. Classical music. It lasted a week. And then we craved silence.

Of course I am an older guy now. I can hear the arguments. A feeb. Too old to take it.

Yes.

And from this perspective, I am aware that enough is enough and no more. There have to be naps and quiet and down time. Reading maybe. Or nothing. Meditation.

To be plugged in all the time. Whew. I couldn't do it.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?