<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 17, 2010

FIRST SIGHTING

Booker and I were walking and this guy with a clipboard comes roaring toward us full speed.

He was big.

And he had a "census taker" hat on. I like the "because you exist" part. I don't think that it's a joke. Well, it is but I mean not a satirical thing.

Does the government have a sense of humor? His hat was red. Maybe this photo is a fake.

I was surprised to see this guy. A live sighting. My first.

As it happens, a friend of mine is doing the census and I did not really have an impression of him walking along with a clipboard.

I more saw him driving up tp a house, getting out and going up to the door. Perhaps a pit bull grabbing at his pants although he says this has not happened yet.

Most people are nice.

But the guy Booker and I saw did not have a car. He was humping. Going to the next place I guess.

It is true that the neighborhood is filled with apartments (transient) and condos (stayed put) so he had to walk to all the doors.

They subdivide the city into a grid and put most people to work in their own neighborhood. A good thing perhaps. Maybe not.

There is training. They have a quota. 20 names per week I think. It doesn't sound like much until you start realizing how many people are not at home or are uncooperative. Also, they are to be part time so they can't work more than 20 hours.

Each interview takes up to 3/4 hour. Wow.

My friend has done OK. No antagonists. No right wing nuts refusing to be counted. No pit bulls.

My friend does not have a hat.

He has even made some acquaintances in the neighborhood and has seen some of the people since he counted them.

So, they are out there doing it and I saw one on his route.

Happy counting.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?