<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

LATE BREAKING

Here in tremor land we never lack for data.

Map shows 50 new California faults

The map below summarizes the various fault lines around here with their potential shake size.

We live right in between there between the black San Andreas with a big 8.0 plus potential and the red San Jacinto with a potential of 6.5.

They won't all go off at the same time. I think.

There is also some quibbling about the effect of various I don't think much about earthquakes unless I read an article like this or if, right now, the ground starts to shake and I am in the middle of one.

I don't mean to be cavalier about it. There is just not much any other way to be.

We can't spend our time crouched next to a table or sofa waiting for the roof to fall. I might want to get there fast if the rumble is starting but that is a different thing.

We are ready. More or less. We have enough food and water for awhile. There is a wrench on the gas line to turn it off if the house lines break. Stuff like that.

You can a lot of food and shit and put it into a barrel but the trouble is that it all deteriorates and you have to replace most of it in a year. Too complicated.

They do have kits now which, like all such kits, combine totally useless stuff with compact calorie food packs. They say 5 years. The price range is 100-300 dollars.

I don't know.

Maybe I should buy one.

We have had three emergency kits in cars we owned all of which fell apart before there was any emergency.

I don't know.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?