Thursday, February 11, 2010
UNDER WATER
I got our water bill yesterday.
It compares usage with a year ago. We are down to a third of the water we were using.
And this has been the case for three or four months.
What happened?
Well, for one thing, I began to really watch the amount used by the sprinklers. When it got cold, I turned them down. Less often, less time.
Right now they are off, off. It has been raining. We don't need to water.
In the house, we have made a major effort to cut down water use.
Part of this is to keep the water flow to the septic system low.
We don't wash dishes or clothes until there is a full load. Surprisingly, we do not have to wash dishes once a day. More like every day and a half and sometimes less often than that.
I figure we are using half the water for laundry. Well, at least running the washer half the time. More water for bigger washes but not that much.
And flushes of course.
This has all added up.
This month it saved us 16.00. In the summer it would be a lot more as they escalate the rates.
We are using less power too. I have cut the pool pump times according to the temperatures.
There are a lot of places that you can save. I am, frankly, more interested in the dollar saving than the ecological impact. But I will take the green part of it too.
Labels: economy, environment