Saturday, February 06, 2010
PULP WITHDRAWAL
We are now a week without the morning hard copy LA Times
It has not been an ordeal to detox from the daily ritual.
I called to cancel on Saturday, little realizing that they would pull the plug immediately.
That meant the Sunday Edition would not be delivered. Whew. The biggest pulp pile of all.
At least a tree. Well, no. More like 1/2700th but still.
Actually, it is the Sunday paper that had become most disappointing.
The magazine long gone, the California section relegated to pr and puff pieces from reduced staff, the ads piled high and those awful half page over folds that make you tear your hair out while you take them off the fold. I moved through the Sunday faster than the daily.
Then, the dailies have not been that tough. I am learning to navigate the web version.
I miss exactly two things. I have not gone to see "Zits" at the Washington Post although it was my intent. (The LAT does not have comics on its web page) and I missed a columnist I always read this morning. But I will find him.
So it has not been too bad.
Even easy.
I am still reading my way through breakfast. (I know. I should be doing mindful chewing)
I am reading The New Yorkers that have stacked up a bit and now I am even with the week. Also the weekly New York Times Book Review which we still subscribe to.
And I always have a book or two going.
I will manage.
Labels: ecology, life, reading