<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

NOT ME, THANKS

We are watching another family deal with the medical treadmill at the end of a long life. The pain and difficulty of all this is incomprehensible.

I do not want it done for me. I have told "everyone" that this is so.

Just listen to enough of this video below to hear about all the oldsters stacked up in ICUs. Some are there because of the very procedures that were to prolong their lives.

I have a friend whose Mom used to say "take me out in the garden and shoot me". Well, I will skip that one but please don't do this ICU thing to me. It is the only thing about the end of my life that I fear.

I have done all the paper work but what I see is that once you are in their clutches it is all hell to get out or to have your peeps get you out.

Did you know that when you dial 911 and the EMTs come that you have just invalidated all your stuff about "no heroic measures" and "do not resuscitate". Even if someone else does the call.

It is a pernicious and evil goddam system in this respect and the money magnet it becomes makes docs among the last to be objective about it.

I recently had a friend whose brother was dying of a rare cancer. No question about it. Dying.

My friend was encountered five times on the last day by hospital personnel who asked about the "do not resuscitate" order. DNR.

They could not believe, or did not want to, that this was the family's decision.

At the end, they called and told him that he should come in and one more time he was asked about DNR. He confirmed yet again that was what they wanted.

When he got to the hospital, the medical staff were leaving his brother's room having just applied the heart jump pads.

Unfuckingbelievable. But believe it.

Now watch.


Watch CBS News Videos Online

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?