<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, December 13, 2009

MEMORY DAY

Franklin would have been 7 years old today.

I still miss him. Sometimes very much.

I don't want the day to be an excursion into sadness.

More, I want to remember what fun he was. What great enthusiasm he had for life.

He had many friends. They still remember him.

Here, eight months later, I still encounter people who do not know that he is gone.

Booker is used to this.

He hears the story again and I talk about how happy we are that he came to live with us. What a joy he is. A great big serene Aire-boy. And I mean it.

He has gone a long way to soothe the pain of Franklin's leaving.

And he is Booker. His own dog. So remarkably different than Franklin that we see him as himself and not as a substitute in any way.

And because of the stark differences in size and temperament Booker hasn't stood in front of Franklin in our experience. He stands aside.

Two great animals. Wonderful beings with whom we share/d a happy life.

So, no more than a few tears today. Or a few lumpy throats. Mostly we will have happy memories of "first dog". I can see him running and jumping up on someone as I type. I hope it is me!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?