<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 23, 2009

THEATRICAL EXPERIENCE

I went to a real movie theater for the first time in, well, a long, long time. 6 years?

Ever since we got a dog. He was my excuse.

I think that I made an exception to see the last of the Lord of the Rings which wasn't that great and was way too long.

Today, it was OK. They had a few ads but we walked in a bit late and mostly missed them.

They did, of course, have trailers.

I hate trailers. I don't even want to see a movie that I want to see in a trailer. They showed two films I have in my queue. The trailers really, really sucked. It is all I can do not to go remove the DVDs from the queue, but I won't.

We went to the "local" theater where we first went when we moved here. It was the only one in Palm Springs at the time. The only one in the West Valley for that matter. You had to go all the way to Palm Desert for another movie house.

This old familiar place has cleaned up its act. The stink of popcorn is not quite as bad as in the old one and the mildew smell is gone. The toilets evidently do not back up anymore.

They did a complete renovation. Then went bankrupt and another company got it all on the cheap.

They have these HUGE chairs. The arms are so wide that you can't really hold hands with your mate especially if there would be drinks in the cup hole.

I was surprised that people kept quiet. The last times I went to the movies there was always talk and noise and babies and christ knows what else to contend with. None of that today. But it wasn't that kind of movie.

There are other annoying things about going out to a movie. I still had to build the whole day around the event. Rearrange my schedule. John says that it is good for me. I am not so sure. I figure it takes an extra hour what with travel, trailers, bullshit with buying tickets.

And then there is the peeing problem. Planning that. Getting it all done so I can sit still for the whole film. This movie was only 90 minutes. Not bad. I made it.

The senior ticket is now seven bucks. Shit. That was the full price when I quit going.

I know. I am going on about it.

I shouldn't complain. It was a nice afternoon out with my husband and it didn't cost me anything. He drove and paid my way.

The movie was great and I got to see it before it comes out on DVD.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?