<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 29, 2009

PATRIOTISM

Maira Kalman becomes a citizen.

I lift my lamp beside the golden door......

She does a piece in the NYTimes about once a month.

I start reading them and think "oh, this isn't worth my time" and then something happens.

I think that it is called "identification" or something like that.

I am not an immigrant but some of my grandparents were and all of my great grandparents. Germans. My dad made the distinction of saying that his people were Westphalians.

They still insist on their national identity!

Modern Westphalia
The present state of North Rhine-Westphalia was created after World War II from the former Prussian province of Westphalia, the northern half of the former Prussian Rhine Province, and the former Free State of Lippe. For North Rhine-Westphalia is subdivided into five government regions (Regierungsbezirke) one can say that Westphalia is today consisting of the Regierungsbezirke of Münster, Detmold and Arnsberg. People in these areas call themselves Westphalians and call their home area Westphalia even though there is no governmental unit by that name.
But they became Americans. They were farmers who gradually joined the industrial revolution. Well, one did. He was a foreman on the Lackawanna Railroad. Maintenance.

The other grandad drove a team of oxen. I have his picture with them.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?