<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 24, 2009

BLEAK HOUSE

I don't much like to go to real estate open houses.

In fact, I don't go. Period.

But I went today to a house up the street that is in a short sale.

I went because I know the guy pretty well. His ex, not so much. They are splitting up and that has put the house "underwater" since she gets it and can't pay for the mortgage. Some settlement.

He did the whole house more or less on his own. The work is beautifully done. Detailed. A lot of stone.

I had never been inside. I know a lot of people "outside" their homes. Very few "inside".

A friend is doing the brokerage so we knew about it.

It was overwhelmingly sad to walk through this beautifully restored, mid-century home.

The walls wreaked with the pain of a failed relationship. I couldn't take much of it.

It is so sad.

If they could get their shit together, they might not have come to this pass.

It is purely self destructive behavior. The failure to get along even on the economic side. Neither would have had to lose. And so on.

Sound a lament for human fallibility and stubborn wrong-headedness.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?