<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 07, 2009

HARDER IS BETTER

I don't suppose you want a lot of details about our recycled paper toilet tissue test.

It would appear that we have been living in an illusion for many years. The idea that "soft" is best has fallen.

"Soft", mostly leads to needing more tissue per sit. Wow. What a surprise. The companies not only knock down trees for "soft" but they get a larger per use wad of paper used.

I wondered how Europe has been able to struggle along all these years with the "hard" stuff (not necessarily recyled). Now I know. It works better.

And it is not really "hard". It isn't that sandpaper stuff I used to see in public toilets.

The recycled paper towels are a bit more complicated in their results.

They don't absorb the same amount of water but they do raise the question of whether you should be using a paper towel to sop stuff up in the first place.

We have a lot of cloth towels here. Old ones. They dry out. Easy to use. Just put them close to the wet places so you can grab them when needed.

I am actually curious to see if we need a paper towel at all! There are some messes that they are very good for. Thick stuff that gets on the counter. Like peanut butter or mayonnaise.

I looked yesterday for recycled facial tissue. "Facial"? I guess they mean the nose part that runs.

There was none on the shelf. It exists though. I will keep looking. I can always buy on line but that is hell on the environment too. Sort of.

Incidentally, take a look at the photo. How do you hang your toilet paper? Over the top or under the roll? We are under the roll people. We have a stand in house cleaner from time to time who puts all the rolls back to the over the top position and also folds the end in little triangular points.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Save Trees? Save money and the Earth and be clean at the same time! Get serious and add Bathroom Bidet Sprayers to all your bathrooms. I think Dr. Oz on Oprah said it best: "if you had pee or poop on your hand, you wouldn't wipe it off with paper, would you? You'd wash it off” Available at www.bathroomsprayers.com with these you won't even need toilet paper any more, just a towel to dry off! Don’t worry, you can still leave some out for guests and can even make it the soft stuff without felling guilty. It's cheap and can be installed without a plumber; and runs off the same water line to your toilet. You'll probably pay for it in a few months of toilet paper savings. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper. As for water use a drought is always a concern and must be dealt with prudently but please remember that in the big picture the industrial water users always far exceed the water use of household users and in the case of toilet paper manufacture it is huge. The pollution and significant power use from that manufacturing process also contributes to global warming so switching to a hand bidet sprayer and lowering your toilet paper use is very green in multiple ways.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?