<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 14, 2009

HALF GEEK

I caught that today is pi day but I missed that it is also Einstein's birthday. The convergence being even more 'amazing'. 3.14. Einstein. And so on.

I am not much of a scientist. I let most of my math and physics studies fly away. Balloons in the sky.

I had to take the courses. Four terms.

I have never ever used any of it.

I don't mean to disparage the subjects. I am sure that they made me a better thinker and gave me a grasp of the world that I would not otherwise have. I am a believer in the scientific method even in matters of faith!

Utility is not the only guideline for developing a mental discipline. I don't use long division much either. Or the study of a frog's innards which I did pretty well at. All that biology.

The courses did have a long lasting result on the negative side. I can still have dreams of not being prepared for a quiz or lab report.

Another skill learned? Getting over and past stuff. I copied a lot of other people's lab books over time. Quizzes were less amenable to cheating. I just shut my eyes and gave it my best shot. The power of intuition over logical process.

All of this was good enough to get me a passing grade.

Faking it on intuition may not be an admirable life skill but it is sometimes critical to survival.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?