<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 05, 2008

MARRIED WITH TAXES

So I got all my tax material from accountant Peter.

All the signed forms and checks are in their envelopes.

For the first time, we are filing a joint return as a couple in the Republic of California. Actually it is a State but I like to think of it as a Republic.

It is a big deal.

I think that for some reason we saved money. We will get a refund.

But that isn't the point so much as this is another step forward in the continuing battle for equal rights.

The right to pay taxes together.

Even if it takes a tax return to make me feel more like a full citizen and even if it is only in California, it is a step toward being a normal person.

Not that "normal" was or is on my list of things I aspire to.

More, it is the right to be normal. That is the essential difference.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?