<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 12, 2007

VETERANS DAY

It used to be Armistice Day.

You know. World War I?

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

I am not a veteran.

For some technical reason, I am US Army Reserve. Or was.

I guess the technical reason is that I was an ROTC cadet, then a 3 month wonder and only served another 3 months before I was spit out into the universe as a Reserve Officer.

After that, I served two weeks a summer for 6 years.

I never went to weekly Reserve meetings or belonged to a Reserve unit.

I took correspondence courses. Sort of.

I guess there are more than a few technical reasons why I am not a veteran.

I didn't have the will or courage to do it and I had plenty of options. And there was no historic necessity. I lived my military prime through a period of relative peace.

My Dad was the veteran. And I have a son who served the full time. I am very proud of both of them for their service.

My Dad kept it up for a long time. Being a veteran. Of World War II.

He belonged to the American Legion and was even the Post Commander for awhile.

He was absorbed by his war experiences which were considerable.

He served hard time in the Navy both in the North Atlantic and then under kamikaze raids in the Pacific.

He had some shrapnel in his neck and a lot of bad dreams in his head for the rest of his life.

I honor the troops and the veterans.

The people who have been sent out on dishonorable wars.

It makes their sacrifice all the more terrible.

But let's keep the focus on the veterans of all the conflicts without exception. The men and women who did what we / I did not do for whatever reasons.

Unconditional admiration and appreciation.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?