<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 08, 2007

FOR CHRIS SAKE

You won't find anyone much celebrating Columbus Day out here.

There won't be mail and the banks are closed.

That's it.

They don't even close the schools.

Back east where there are a few more out Italians they had parades and all.

Yeh, I know all the politics and stuff. Poor Chris has nothing to do with that. He thought he was doing a good thing.

And I know that he really didn't discover it.

It wasn't lost in the first place. There were people living here.

And even if you buy that discovery by the Europeans was important at all, the Vikings got here first.

It is sort of a shit holiday when you think of it.

But, I like the story and the idea of it and so I will keep the myth alive in my heart. At least until they make it a religion like the other myths.

I will celebrate Columbus' birth here with what has become a tradition.

The showing of Salvador Dali's great "Christopher Columbus Discovering the United States of America

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?