<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Rootless 

Condo Board meeting today.

We are struggling with the reality of a long drought in California and a state mandate to reduce water usage.

We are doing pretty well but there are consequences. The once fine but inappropriate deciduous trees which were planted when the complex was built, the early 60s, have had to find more water underground and have gone looking for it. They found the sewer lines.

So, out with the trees and in with some desert friendly fan palms which will be happy to grow without going deep. The idea of putting nothing in is a non-starter. People want their "trees". Our job is to find some that work better.

We are also in the process of rebuilding roofs which was postponed some to cover the unexpected cost of the new trees.

A domino effect on the budget.

A lot of other details of condo life were addressed, but the longest time by far was the landscaping problems and solutions.

I continue to enjoy my time on the Board. I am still the Treasurer and love to handle the money and sign all the checks.

I do not aspire to higher office.

I like the people I am serving with. I like the non-combative air of the meetings.

We get a good turnout of owners, maybe twenty or so. A small percentage of the total 146 but the interested percentage. A lot of owners are part time and are more than happy to let us run things. Especially since there has been no increase in monthly fees for two years and no additional assessment to cover unexpected costs.

Tranquil compared to a lot of Boards I know of. Or even our Board back over five years ago. The "fighters" all left or were voted out.

This is my second term. Unopposed. I act like I am going to stand for office again. Whether I do or not is less the point than the belief that any office holder should run a little "scared" of the electorate and their approval.

For example, I wave to everyone whether I know them or not. Sooner or later I get to know them. But the wave is purely for the vote. I am also a cynic and am willing to act accordingly.

I learned all this from my Dad who was on the School Board and held other offices all his adult life. Service. With a smile and a wave.

I also like the Tip Oneill philosophy that people want me to ask for their vote and to act like I will.

I have always done this kind of thing. Love it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?