<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Berger 

Every so often we run into a logjam of Netflix shipments.

Usually a holiday kicks the mail's ass and so we get last in line on the delivery of Netflix. Whatever mail class that is. Piles up.>

That means relying on my own DVD collection.

So for a few days I have been watching the films of Marco Berger.

A gay movie maker whose work endures many watching.

I think this is because it is so people focused.

I have seen things I did not notice before. Nuance. Perhaps this is the case of any well done film but with Berger it is inevitable.

He uses several devices actually. One is the frozen scene. People walk off but the camera stays fixed on a wall or a room. They are interesting walls and rooms and one is forced to pay closer attention by this pause.

The other thing about these pauses is that he uses the ambient noise. Street sounds, air movement, machinery all fill the aural space left by the absence of acting or actors.

In a few of his films he focuses on building parts. Architecture. Very nice. "Look at this" he seems to be saying. Observe.

Likewise his actors are very still. Their lines are delivered naturally but they do not quirk around or fidget. A bit like still life.

Sometimes they just sit and think.

It is a wonderful experience.

Berger is young. I expect years of great films.

This Netflix mail delay does suggest that perhaps I should change from the option of real DVD delivery and go to on-line play. Well, I do not think so. I am old fashioned and like to slip the disc in and let it go. I can stop and rewind and even FF if I do not like what I see. Maybe that is possible with streaming. I don't know.

One other thing is that streaming does not allow sharing in the same household. I think. With the DVD John can watch the same show the same day.

I may be wrong about this. I don't care. It is OK to be wrong. I am sticking with the DVD for now.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?