<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 16, 2016

America 

A nation of immigrants.

That's up. I am second generation. My grandparents still spoke German to one another.

Then that was gone.

Films like this help us remember the really really recent past and how it is so intimately involved in our own experience.

Brooklyn (1015)

I read the Colm Tolbin book and enjoyed it very much. Books rarely travel as well to the screen so I figured I would try this out on its reputation and forget the rule I have about only doing one or the other. Book or movie but not both.

This is a wonderful film and should not be missed.

Everything about it is right.

No wrong notes.

Most of all it involves us in an old fashioned filmic way. No funny camera shots or all the rest. Just solid film craft and solid ensemble acting.

There are a few old timers to hold a young cast together. I can see them doing it. Jim Broadbent. Julie Walters.

And the young leads. So romantic. Yes, like I said. It is an old fashioned movie. So good. I will see it again.

A 5 out of Netflix5.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?