<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Reality 

Today's film is a genré busting original.

I think.

But I do not watch that many horror movies.

This one sings.

It Follows (2015)

The thing is that our heroine sees something following her. We see it too. But no one else does.

Are we cuckoo? Is she?

What is the film maker's intent. The critic might ask.

But then that would mean that you failed to suspend disbelief.

This film had me from the beginning.

I saw "it".

There are some flaws that I did see but I did not want to see them and so I covered them up and got back into the pool. If you see the film you will know what I mean about the pool.

Metaphors abound here. And the biggest could be that the film is a metaphor for mental illness. It could also be seen as a metaphor for a girl's coming of age. The fear of, well, the whole thing. The bloody pool.

I was scared. I jumped a few times. I might have chuckled here and there but it is not played for laughs.

This is the kind of film that young actors do so that they can get a foothold in the business and these kids are really really good.

So is the "it". There really is one. Unless we are whacky too.

It is filmed in Detroit and they use this to great advantage. The decayed buildings. The city wide sense of impending doom.

I enjoyed this very much, a 3 out of Netflix5.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?