<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Generations 

I think this could be about "the sins of the fathers".

Today's film, that is.

But I am not sure. There are many layers to

Le Confessional / The Confessional (1995)

More user reviews here

There are a lot of things going for this split story, two decades a generation apart if I can count right.

One of those "things going" is Lothaire Bluteau as a young man caught between the generations and his own desires for love.

There is a strong gay subtext which is nicely handled. He searches for a brother in a gay bathhouse. An overhead view of which is worth the price of admission. All those little rooms with wire tops. If you haven't been in one it is hard to describe. But people are coming and going and staying and wandering. We see it all from overhead.

There is a lot creativity in the film.

As for the plot, I am not sure I understand how it all comes together but I liked it anyway and will see it again. Perhaps on a second viewing it will unravel.

The men are good to look at. All types. If this makes it a gay film then so be it.

Kristin Scott Thomas has a very large "cameo" and it is always fun to see her.

This is certainly a 4 out of Netflix5 because I would not mind seeing it again. A five if I do. I bought the DVD already because it is not available anywhere other than Amazon Canada. No Netflix for this film. A rare occurrence.

I tracked it down through Amazon in Canada. News for a smug American: Canada has its own Amazon as well it should.

Oh. The film is in quebecois with English subtitles.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?