<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Critic 

Un6il Pauline Kael came along, no one took movie criticism seriously.

I was certainly a fan of hers but her writing was dense and her ideas a bit difficult to handle.

I struggled.

The movies were supposed to defy criticism. Of course there was the word of mouth that said this is great or that stunk.

I worked in a movie theater from the age of 14 and saw everything. More or less.

Then college where my lunch money went for films and MIT had the film society which I attended regularly.

Yet, I never much took film criticism seriously beyond the plot outline which, actually, I didn't read anyway. Too many spoilers.

So when it came to criticism it was mostly past tense. What I should have liked and why. Interesting. But academic.

Then along came Roger Ebert. His reviews spoke to me. Is this because he was an alcoholic closeted gay man?

I doubt it, but maybe.

I would like to think that his criticism hit the right note. And I could depend on him.

Later Siskel, an actual enemy from another paper, joined him on a popular PBS television show and film criticism becomes fun.

According to today's movie, the two critics hated each other. Maybe a fun hatred but I do not think so.

Life Itself (2014)

I think that this is from the old saying that the joy of living was life itself. In this case, it certainly seems as though Ebert was a happy warrior.

Unhappily he contracted cancer of the jaw. Horrific.

There is way too much of this in the two hour film. I had enough. It clouded my view. A bid for pity? I think not. More outright exploitation of illness to underline a tragedy.

It basically ruins the film. Too much morbidity.

Ebert's tragedy was no different than anyone else's. He had a good life. He was a good guy. He married late and was happy. A woman with kids. He was as entertaining as a writer as any of the films he talked about. And he changed everyone's perspective when they saw a movie whether in a theater or teevee.

So, I liked it. The doc. But I would not want to see it again. A 3 out of Netflix5.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?