<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 03, 2015

Kingpin 

Today's film is about the rise of a young mafia member while he is in prison.

I am not sure that it is technically the actual mafia but in this prison it might as well be.

Tahar Rahim stars as the young criminal with a career ahead of him. Neils Arestrup is the older, wiser and eventually replaceable boss.

Un prophète / A Prophet (2010)

The young man is a prophet because he does see things before they happen but this is not the real skill. He is adept at turning this bit of psychic ability from a parlor game level to the real time thing.

Actually, the film and his career does not rest on this singular ability. He is a good student and becomes the understudy who eventually "kills" the father. Hello Dr. Freud.

But there is no mistaking the quality of this film. It is very high. And what is more, believable.

I have seen it four of five times and I never tire. This may be the only film that has this repeatability for me.

I think this lies in the acting, the interplay between the older and younger man. Both actors are quite distinguished and able to play different kinds of roles in some knockout films.

I know that I will see it again. And probably again after that.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?