<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 03, 2015

Hard times? 

Teen agers do not work as much or as often than they used to.

It’s Summer, but Where Are the Teenage Workers?

There are a lot of answers to this. It is evidently not a true mystery.

It seems that, today, teens have a lot more options than I did when I was a kid and, what is more, they have other things to do with their time. Like go to summer school. I did not have summer school.

I consider my teen working experience as crucial to any success I had in life. I was able to learn a lot of things that were surprising. One thing, a surprise, is how to pace one's self and not give in to a boss' expectations.

This may seem to be a bit against the grain but it is not. How many people really work full tilt. Only the manic and the ones who cannot keep up.

A harsh judgment, I know.

I had a good time from the beginning. At Williams Drug Store I learned about sex first hand. Around the older clerks who even had some homo-action going, as well as the customers. I worked in the pharmacy and (against the law) managed the contraceptive department. I was also very naive. But later, I was able to use my experience by seeing sex as a regular thing that everyone did. Also that one didn't have to apologize for it either.

Later and for a number of years I worked for my Dad in an A&P Super Market. This helped me learn the ability to keep personal relationships out of the business. Mostly to survive the suspicion of the other workers. I dug in and did the dirty work of mopping and sorting the garbaged produce. I think that I was likable and the other kids found that I was not a snitch.

I knew better and did not want to be one anyway.

I think it amused my Dad a great deal to find that his son was involved in some dubious pastimes. When I went away to college, I came back for one summer but then I was too sophisticated and grown up to return again. Or some shit like that. I grew up. Moved away.

This is a long digression on a simple observation.

I got my working papers at 14, required at the time. I never quit working until I was retired. And I loved my working life.

The stuff I do today with the condo board and all that keeps my hand in. I am a prime employee. Which, incidentally, made me a much better boss. I was benevolent and I also knew where the best hideouts were!

Did I mention that I was an usher and curtain puller at the movies? I hung out in the projection booth, illegal as shit because of the fire hazard. The projectionist was a great guy with loads of stories.

And so on. I will stop now.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?