<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Partners 

I had a succession of business partners until there was only one left.

Then, we sold out our interests, in serial, and the company is now run by someone else.

This is a pretty fair picture of what such a relationship is like.

Anger Management: Why the Genius Founders Turned to Couples Therapy

It is a truth and a cliché. Business partnerships are like marriage.

Yeh, with some key differences. One, no sex to vent the pressure. Two, no kids or dog or other neutral outlets. No home to project together, no 100% personal access. Well, maybe a lot of couples do not have the last one either.

The funny thing about my experience is that when the business was over and we both retired, we sort of went our separate ways. For awhile we would visit on an annual trip to the warm places but when we moved west that was the end of that.

Now, it is pretty quiet. The fact is that without the enterprise there is not a lot of common ground. Certainly none to talk about or be together on.

It is a little sad but it is a bit like children growing up. A lot of contact, then a little and finally not much.

My partner stayed with the business as a guiding hand for awhile. I just stopped cold. There is that difference.

I find myself wondering if he is reading this. Still reading the blog.

If so, or if not, I can say that the business partnership was one of the great loves of my life. It had a time and place and it endures in my heart. A little tear, stinging eye. Good stinging.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?