<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dog dick 

This is fun.

Eat Up. You’ll Be Happier

I have never understood voluntary dietary restrictions. At all.

We eat everything. Sure, there are a few things that I do not like much. But I can't think of anything at the moment.

I am aware that my husband does not like some of the things I cook. (The advantage of cooking is that it gives one a preference edge) but he cleans his plate and suppresses complaint.

Sometimes I know that he grudgingly likes something he thought he did not.

We are not partial to fish. Either of us. But I know that somehow, in my body, my genes or something, that we should eat some. Occasionally. I mean the white stuff. Not salmon which of course is "red meat". Right?

I grew up laughing at food faddists. I took Food Technology in my college years. I know nutrition and its essentiality to a good life.

Now I do not disparage vegans. Vegetarians? It is a valid choice because it is possible to have a complete diet without meat. But to deny essential nutrients for some other fad approach is crazy. And self denying. And, it seems to me, masochistic.

Of course, man's lot was always to eat what was available. On the ground, in the air, under the water. We are omnivorous. Period. End of paragraph. Climax of the story.

Of course what you eat is none of my business and what I eat is none of yours. But it does make good table talk.

I would not force a guest to eat out of their comfort zone. I can do a pretty good vegan dinner. But I am willing to go only so far. There is a point where they will have to bring their own food or not eat at all.

No dairy? Not too bad. And often legit. No "gluten"? A sham and delusion perpetrated by the organic food shamans. Bring a medical certificate please.

Now, picky eating. Not a matter of dogma. Some people have not learned to eat a wide variety of food. There is a limit. But if you want to leave what I serve on your plate, fine with me. We might just finish it for you.

Incidentally I am not mean about this. When we did have dinner guests I always asked if there were any prohibitions. I never encountered a picky eater who couldn't be seduced by something cooked well. And mysteriously.

And I can turn on a dime. Once someone came and as they entered I asked if they had any blacklisted food items. Chicken? Goddam. I was about to do a breast. A fast turnaround with some fish or other was not difficult. I keep a good supply in the freezer for just such an emergency.

It is hard to discuss this. Food choices are intensely personal in America. Because we have so many choices. Most of them bad.

The key is to have healthy raw material, as few processed as possible and simple. Boxed scalloped potatoes are about as far as I want to go for convenience. I do not worry much about the chemicals in our food. Just keep them as low as possible.

OK. This is very rambly and I am not going back to edit and restructure it.

You will have to eat what is on this plate!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?