<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Scientific bull 

Hey, I went to MIT.

I studied Food Technology and Food Science. I didn't practice in the field very long. I parlayed my training into work in production and management and then I was out of that entirely.

But I did learn a lot which I applied in my life. After all, eating is a big part of living. Eating well a pursuit worth investing in.

So, when it came out that there were problems with saturated fats and blood cholesterol and that there was a connection between high blood cholesterol and heart disease, obesity and other ills, I was ready to drink the Koolaid on the subject and acted accordingly in my diet and in my cooking.

I didn't go nuts actually. I simply became a conservative user of butter fat but usually used margarine. Saturated whatever. Sunflower, all the rest. Vegetable oils.

Then I ended up with a partner with chronic heart disease and the need to eat less fat became more serious.

Now, once again, the science has been overturned by new, credible, long term studies all over the world.

New study puts final nail in the “saturated fat causes heart disease” coffin

It is one of the longer living dietary scams, and not even the result of food faddists. Real deluded scientists.

I am not about to go out and buy lard and use it heavily. Fat is still fat. But the saturated bit is the nub of the question. Vegetable fats are pretty good for cooking. Better in many cases. But in daily diet, a dab of butter beats any "real" tasting margarine. Hydrogenated or otherwise.

And then there is bacon. Go for it. In moderation of course. This is not fat lib.

But a good marbled steak? Dig in. Go for it.

I will probably not change the cooking part. Butter is kind of lousy at frying and all. It burns and discolors. But on toast? GO go go.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?