<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 24, 2014

Meltdown 

The rapid collapse of Bill Cosby's reputation seems unprecedented to me.

Cosby was one of the first black actors to achieve some degree of national success independent of his race. Or, in spite of his race.

I don't know. It was played very well so that he came out all heroic.

I liked him as a comedian. Then I liked I Spy where he had an almost magical partnership with Robert Culp. Then it goes on from there and I sort of lost him.

Not because I knew anything of course. I just sort of got bored with him as a "character". That happens with television. And then I got tired of television. Still am.

Scandal is always juicy with lots of hindsight coming into play. The real jury is still out on how this will work for Costby but he already has had cancellations.

The other thing about it is the race card. It has been taken off the table so to speak.

This is, of course, unfair but somewhere someone is saying that he abused the well deserved reputation he had gained as a spokesman for, well what? Not his race certainly.

He was/is an entertainer. The black thing is there and part of the picture. Can't deny that.

But in the basic scheme of things this is what he will be remembered for.

Calling Out Bill Cosby’s Media Enablers, Including Myself

I love David Carr's candor.

I always have.

The fact is that Cosby has thrown himself to the wolves. He has done it singlehandedly. What a terrible way to end a career and to spend one's "golden years".

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?