<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 04, 2014

Quiet 

With John gone it has been very quiet in the house.

Not that he makes a lot of noise. But he does have a sound. Sounds.

Yesterday the silence got pretty strong and I turned on the FM radio. KUSC. The LA classical station. The only classics we can get.

All music all the time.

And not a lot of talk although during the day some of the announcers think their job includes lame humor and comment. The music is a little more easy listening during the day as well.

I had forgotten how nice it is to have a sonic blanket.

I am in and out. I listen, then not and then something catches my ear and I am into it. I have even walked to the radio and stood there, rapt.

We do not have "stereo" anymore, incidentally. A sophisticated sound system like we used to have is now wasted on old men. Acuity has gone. I am not deaf but the wave lengths are attenuated. Besides, the big Bose radio player is very good indeed.

It is a lot like WCRB or WBUR in Boston. Not NPR which we do get but is too much of an ego fest for me. When did these assholes get on board?

Of course, WHDH in Boston had Robert J Lurtsema in the morning for decades. More arch you could not get. A lonely bachelor, now deceased, who took it out on his audience. A lonely mama's boy.

But that is long ago and far away. At least he kept it down to a low basso profound drone and sort of became part of the aural landscape. Here, not so much. Intrusion. Fucking jokes. But it is all we have here so I am grateful.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?