<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Homies 

I was 65 years old before I ever heard the word "homeland" except in a connection with immigrants.

As in "my great grand parents' homeland was Germany".

In that sense, I have never thought about the United States as "my homeland". But now, more and more, people are saying this. I think that it reeks of xenophobia. The hatred of other countries. Inappropriate national pride.

But, I guess, I am in a minority.

I thought that I was the only one who noticed this sudden use of the H word. But I guess not.

How ‘Homeland’ Became Part of Our American Lexicon

Well, not my lexicon. I don't and won't ever use this word.

Maybe because it seems that it started with George W. Bush. But, more than that, it is the sort of old fashioned "my country right or wrong" thinking.

To me it connotes bullying. I know. It is what I am putting on it.

I am glad someone wrote this article. I felt alone.

I always associated this word with dictatorships and oppression.

Since Georgie boy started it the word has become a department which makes the kind of nationalistic flourish a formal reality.

I guess I just see it as a way of flaunting our power in the world. More penis waving. Which is definitely not needed if it ever was.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?