<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Call from Italia 

John just called from Italy.

Syracusa. Syracuse. The boys from Syracuse.

He as Gwen are doing well and, from the sound of his voice, still into the proceedings. I would be flagging. It is a tour so he doesn't have to worry about driving and so on but still. 20 people, all crowded up. That is why I wouldn't be going on a trip like this.

But he is having a good time and that is a very good thing. It is his trip after all.

The phone calls are remarkably clear. I remember the old cable days. Static, delays, disconnections.

From the phone's viewpoint he might have been just around the corner.

Modern life.

I think that, in my time, one would get an overseas operator who would place the call for you and usually too busy to do it right away. They would call back when they had the connection. You would sit and wait next to your old style dial phone.

I am that old geezer who doles out "remember when" stories.

But I won't bore you. We had a good time on the phone and got what we mainly wanted. The sound of each other's voice.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?