<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Bloat 

I left today's film early.

Too much excess baggage. Too much of Tom Hanks. Way to much self regard about itself. Hokum.

Cloud Atlas (2013)

Let's dispose of Hanks first. He has become a bore. Droning on in his lines. Being Tom Hanks.

It is hard to translate a good novel to the screen because it will always be diminished. A bad novel is a better transfer because the film can save the narrative and do the showing which weak writing fails to do.

I did read the book and therein lies the problem I am sure. It is a very very good book. Complete within itself. I had my own ideas of what it was about.

Admittedly, it is hard to translate this work and I suppose the two directors it took did as well as could be expected.

Hoist by my own expectations.

So I won't go on about it. I have a lifetime problem with Hanks who left my pool of regard when started taking himself so seriously. He excelled at light comedy, romantic comedy. Here he is heavy and plodding.

Blah blah blah.

For me this is a 2 out of Netflix5. Well, actually, a 1 because I didn't finish it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?